Becoming successful with email marketing
One of the most important things you need to do as a small business owner is to keep in touch with you clients. Email marketing is a great way to maintain a good relationship with your customers and to build your business. Not quite sure where to start? Here are 5 tips for successful email marketing.
You might also like:
1. Keep a detailed and segmented list: Maintaining a proper list of the email addresses your business collects is extremely important. Email addresses can be key to the success of your business and losing those email addresses is one of the last things you will want. When you are just starting out and new to email marketing, you might find it helpful to remember that different kinds of customers will require different kinds of email.
It would make sense to plan different categories within your list to serve your various customer types and these categories will provide the segmentation you need for your list. You do recognize that If you have some customers who have signed up for a free trial on any of your products or services, then they will need different messaging from the ones who have already purchased something from you.
2. Make your content engaging: After you have determined your email lists and segments, the next step is to write informative and engaging content. In the email, don't use works like " free", it may end up in the spam folder.
You should also try to keep the email short but informative because no one has the time to go through a long email. A great subject line is also important, and you should take the time to construct an effective one and keep in mind that the first 50 characters on the subject line are the most important. Remember, one of the key drivers to get people to open your email is if they find the subject line interesting.
Action Tip: Open your email inbox right now. What do you see? If you’re like most people, you will see a list of subject lines that you will scan before deciding which one to open. Not only that, most people get upwards of 50 emails a day* so if your Very Important Email (that you created and sent) is in that list, only your subject line can be seen at this point.
3. Send your emails in the middle of the week: Studies show that email open rates are highest during mid-week. These same studies tend to show that email open rates are highest during the afternoon from 2 to 5. There are patterns to opens, and much of this will depend on your business niche or category in relation to your subscribers.
This report shows 2018 data on open rates by business types (Smart Insights – Email marketing engagement 2018). Here are a couple of studies that will help you learn more about open rates and click through rates.
4. Look good on mobile phones: Most people use their mobile phones for reading emails so make sure that your email is constructed to make the most of the mobile phone experience. Is the text is large enough? Do your graphics appear properly on these devices?
Considering there are hundreds of other things competing for the attention of your potential customers your job is to make sure that they open the email and can get your message. Make sure you are sending mobile-friendly emails – in fact, start from the mobile point of view to get the best result.
5. Keep the " UNSUBSCRIBE" button: Make sure that you send emails that are " CAN-SPAM" compliant. Before sending email to anyone, it is important that you get permission from them to send them email.
You also need to make it simple and easy for them to unsubscribe and not using an unsubscribe option can lead your Email Service Provider (ESP) to suspend your account. Just to make sure you’ve got it right, be sure to read and follow the terms of service for your Email Service Provider.
These are 5 tips for successful email marketing for small business. When you follow these tips you will get off to a great start building relationships with your customers before, during and after the sale, as you keep your list growing – leading to more relationships and more sales. You don’t have a list right now? Keep these tips in mind as you get moving towards building a valuable list for your upcoming email marketing campaigns.